Friday, January 20, 2012

Check back in a month...

I started writting this blog as a New Year's resolution and a brain exercise to keep my mind active and moving. However, as I near a month of writing, I wonder if what they say is true: if you work on it for 30 days can you break a bad habit or start a good one?

I have tested this theory before and thought I had broken a bad habit by going 30 days without giving in to temptation but now I feel myself slipping back into an old pattern. So does this mean I need to go another 30 days? Will another 30 days of going without temptation reinforce what I tried to the first time?

And is the reverse true; if I keep working on this blog and a few other things I started at the beginning of the year will I stick with it and get better at it as I go? Is it sort of the same as positive reinforcement? Better than electroshock therapy and more effective than a squirt from a water bottle: it's self control and discipline.

Ouch; that got a little too preachy. Check back in a month, maybe by then my random thoughts will have turned into something worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment