Monday, January 2, 2012

i wonder if guys back in the late 1800s really did show up to weddings hung over and looking like they got their ass kicked....

So I was sitting in a movie today, watching a scene where a guy is getting married after having a wild night out and thought: I wonder how many times scenes like this played out in the late 1800s-early 1900s.

Now granted, I do realize it was a movie and more than likely the groom in question did not have a friend who was causing all kinds of trouble in the gentleman's club but still, it had to happen sometime. Hell, I'm pretty sure it still happens today. The groom rolls out of bed five minutes before the cermony, barely time to dress much less fix the hair and try to handle the hang over. And yet the bride did nothing than give a bemused smirk to the best man who clearly caused this to happen. Would the people at the wedding party be shocked? Or would they just chalk it up to something that happens everytime there is a marriage in the middle or lower class? A "boys will be boys" type a thing, after all isn't the wedding about the bride, not the still slightly intoxicated man she is marrying?

Of course, my brain did not stay on this train of thought. It took off from wondering how many times this scenario played out to wondering what a person who saw the very first movie would think of how movies look and are made today.  It is almost a kind of role reversal; me pondering what happend in the past, the person from the past pondering (well probably not actually pondering, but me imagining he or she pondering) what would happen in the future.

Then I remembered I was supposed to be watching said movie; curse you radmon thought for making me miss five minutes of a pretty decent film!

1 comment:

  1. Five whole minutes! You didn't miss the part where he threw her off the train, did you? Because that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete