Thursday, January 5, 2012

Smart or Nosey?

So at work today I figured out a problem with the printer in my area and a co-worker said "Wow, you're so smart." To which my response was "Acutally I just like to know what is causing the problem, so I think that just make me nosey."

As I sat back down at my desk and went back work, my active mind focused on the work at hand but my subconscious took another look at my comment. If you really look at it, isn't learning a by-product of being nosey? People make discoveries and create inventions and solve problems by becoming curious about what is going on around them or why something doesn't work or why it is the way it is. And essentially isn't curiousity similar to being nosey? You want to know why, you are poking and proding and putting your nose in a place it doesn't normally go.

So does that mean that smart people are by default nosey? Or when it comes to education and "smarts" does being nosey suddenly turn into something that is more socially acceptable or "pc?" What would happen if a child told a parent "I'm not nosey, I'm learning" ? Possibly how the public views education and what is "correct" social behavoir would totally change.

And then a phone rings and I realize perhaps I should be nosey about that....

No comments:

Post a Comment