Friday, January 13, 2012

Yes, please...it's exhausting thinking for myself...

In anticpation of a movie adaptation of one of my favorite books coming out in a few days, I got to thinking about movie critics and what their purpose actually is. Does a critic's review really make up a person's mind for them?
Now I'm not saying that there shouldn't be critics...just..maybe not for every little thing. Sure there are movies that are serious dramas or out there artsy that should have a review but for a comedic adaptation of a book? Or a kids movie? And has anyone ever seen a legit critic give a good review to something like "The Hangover", something that is clearly ment to be enjoyed not reviewed and have an intellectual discussion about?

Now I'm sure people could read my blog and say what I'm doing is being a critic of critics...but I'm not telling you "Oh critics are terrible, minus 3 stars". I'm just looking at it from another angle. How often do people do/not do something based on a review, instead of trying it for themselves? Has society as a whole turned into a flock of sheep who wait to be told what to do?

And now I realize this has turned from random thought into a rant....oh hey look a kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment