Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thanks for the memories...I think...

At work today I heard a song on the radio that reminded me of someone one I went to high school and I thought "do I have memories of him because of this song? Or did song make a memory for me?"

Ok, I know that's not worded the best (hey I can't always get the thoughts out of my head) but bear with me. Do we have memories because of what has happened in the past and then things, like a song or smell remind us of them? Or do certain things, like a song or smell, create a memory for us? Do you smell cookies and think of your grandma because she always made cookies? Or does the smell of cookies create what could be consider a "false" memory, in that it just makes one think a of a certain time/place/person even if the stimuli was not present at the time?

I suppse it all comes down to how our brains are hardwired. Maybe it is different for each person. Maybe some actually do have a memory connected to a certain event while others create them to fit the occasion. Or maybe I'm reading way too deeply into something random that happened at work today that may or may not have triggered an acutal memory.....

No comments:

Post a Comment